The question, “can Fitbit track cycling”, is posed by many. Apart from tracking cycling, Fitbits can keep track of both indoor and outdoor activities which include walking, weightlifting, swimming, and running. Fitbit is therefore a smartwatch you may want to explore as a cyclist here is the reason.
Fitbit features a GPS integration that will provide you with routes and paces while cycling. The GPS tracker ensures that you don’t get off the trail.
This integration ensures you go out and come back in one piece. In addition, as you cycle, Fitbit will offer stats such as calories burnt, distances covered, average speed, and much more.
All the mentioned metric recordings are of great importance to cyclists and can all be acquired via Fitbit trackers.
The SmartTrack ensures all of your activities are tracked as soon as you start working out. SmartTrack will automatically identify, record, and get all the data for your workout.
Some of the data you will get from the feature include calories burned, the period you were active, and your heart rate.
SmartTrack starts detecting your movement after being active in the workout for 10 to 15 minutes. Some of the Fitbits that come with this awesome feature include Fitbit Charge 3, Alta, Alta HR, Surge, Charge 2, Blaze, and Charge HR among others.
So, even when you forget to set your Fitbit to cycling mode, the activity watch does it in less than 15 minutes of continuous cycling.
Fitbit Charge 4, Charge 5, Sense, Ionic, and Versa are some of the Fitbits that feature GPS + GLONASS. As you enjoy riding on your bicycle, the built-in GPS takes record of your outdoor positions.
The view map can be accessed via the Fitbit App. For those with Fitbits that don’t have internal GPS, you can sync to your phone’s GPS and still keep track of your routes and paces.
Can Fitbit Be Put Inside Sock To Track Cycling?
Yes, you can have your Fitbit in one of your socks but the stats won’t be as accurate as when it would have on the wrist.
The algorithm is designed to pick data from the watch while it is on your wrist unlike while hugging inside your socks.
For bike riders who prefer cycling indoors here is how to record indoor cycling via android, iOS, and Fitbit Web (Dashboard).
How To Record Indoor Cycling through The Fitbit Android App
- After Launching the Fitbit App, tap Track Exercise to access your workout history.
- Tap the watch icon located in the top right corner of your phone.
- Select the Log Previous option.
- Tap on the search bar and type Spinning.
- Provide the Start Time and the Duration of the Workout.
- Finish by tapping Log It. Calories burned will be recorded and a stat report provided.
How To Record Indoor Cycling Through The Fitbit iOS App
- Tap Exercise to open the workout history.
- Like on Android, tap the Stopwatch Icon.
- Then select Log.
- Search for Spinning from the search bar.
- Input the Start Time and Period of the Workout.
- Lastly, tap Add to get your activity recorded.
How To Record Indoor Cycling through The Fitbit Website
- Log into the Fitbit account and head to your dashboard.
- Click the Log option.
- Then click the Activities option.
- Like on Android and iOS, search for Spinning.
- Put in the Start Time and Duration of the Workout.
- Click Log to let the app start recording and filling the calories you burn.
How Do I Activate The GPS To Track My Routes While Cycling?
This procedure will be of much help to cyclists that are using Fitbit Versa Lite Edition, Versa 2, Ionic, Charge 5, Luxe, Charge 2, Charge 3, and Versa.
- Launch the Fitbit App/Exercise App. Then find the workout you want to monitor
- Tap on the gear icon and turn on the GPS if it wasn’t on.
- Now, return to the activity screen by tapping on the back button
The Best Budget Fitness Tracker for Cycling
Among others, Fitbit Charge 4 is the best fitness tracker for cycling. The Fitbit comes at a price that can be afforded by most bike riders.
The tracker features a single button to its left and its frame is made of 100% aluminum. The screen display is OLED and is touchscreen. The only thing you wouldn’t like about the tracker’s display is that it is hard to see in the light.
The bands are changeable, you can supplement them with your favorite ones whenever you like or when they are worn out.
In case it rains so hard, you don’t have to worry about getting the tracker water damaged since it is waterproof up to 50 meters below water.
The activity comes built-in with GPS to cater to your mapping needs, and SpO2 sensors to check on your blood oxygen as you cycle your bicycle. Easy to pay for Fitbit Premium features using Fitbit Pay.
What To Like About Fitbit Charge 4
- The activity tracker comes with a built-in GPS.
- Fitbit Charge 4 comes at a price affordable to a majority of cyclists.
- It is able and the heart rate and gives accurate reports.
- The SpO2 sensor also provides trustable stats.
What Not to Like About Fitbit Charge 4
- It is hard to see through the OLED display while outdoors, which means cyclists will have a hard time reading stats while on the go.
- If one of your major concerns is the battery life then this tracker wouldn’t be the right one for you because it has poor battery life.
- It takes time to get the GPS up and running –a delay is reported as it locks on.
If you are an enthusiastic cyclist in search of high-quality fitness equipment, we would encourage you to go get a Fitbit watch.
It is the finest fitness companion you can have. A cyclist using Fitbit gets to know all his or her achievements after a busy bike ride. Lastly, Fitbits will give you the satisfactory feeling you have been missing as a cyclist.