Fitbit has to widen its user base beyond its usual scope. And now kids as young as 13 years of age can have their own Fitbit accounts.
In this guide, you will learn everything about Fitbit accounts for kids, from setting up an account to deleting their data.
Kids can have their Fitbit accounts as long as they are 13 years or older. However, the Fitbit Ace allows kids as young as 8 years old to get the most out of Fitbit offers and therefore can have their data in the family account. Creating a Fitbit account for kids takes as little as 5 minutes.
In an age where traffic fitness metrics are as important as fitness trackers themselves, it’s important to collect, analyze and interpret the data collected from Fitbits used by kids.
That is why it’s important to discuss the ins and outs of Fitbit accounts for kids.
What is the Minimum Age for a Fitbit Account for Kids?
Your kid must be 13 years or older to have their own Fitbit account.
So if your child hasn’t hit the age requirement yet, and you want to track their metric from the Fitbit app, you can add their details to your family account.
Apparently, Fitbit is somewhat lenient when it comes to its fitness trackers with respect to a kid’s age.
These days, kids younger than 13 years can use:
Unlike the original model, whose age requirement starts from 8 years, Fitbit has been more flexible with the Ace 2 and 3, now allowing kids as young as 6 years to wear and track their metric with your help.
All the Fitbit Ace models come with premium features that make it possible to count steps, estimate calories burned, analyze sleep quality, and monitor heart rate.
How to Create a Fitbit Account for Kids
The first thing we will do is head over to Google Play Store or Apple App Store for those with Android phones and iPhones/iPads respectively.
The next step is to open the app and ensure the fitness tracker is at a stone’s throw distance from the phone.
Then tap the “Join Fitbit” option. Find your child’s fitness tracker from the list that will pop and tap the continue option.
The continue option will redirect you to the “Create Account” section. Follow the instructions you see to successfully create your son or daughter a Fitbit account.
After signing up you will receive an activation email. Open this email and click on the link to verify your email.
When that is done, head back to the Fitbit app and tap on Next, and boom everything is set.
How to Delete A Child’s Fitbit Account
You probably want to wipe all your child‘s fitness stats and create him or her a new account. Here is how to delete the account via the app and website.
How to Delete The Account on iPhone or Android
The deletion process works on both, iPhone and Android as a result of menu similarity.
- Log into your kid’s account by tapping on the Fitbit icon. If not logged in, enter your child’s login details.
- At the top left tap on the “User Account” icon. Doing so will land you to “Account Settings”.
- Scroll to the bottom and choose “Manage Data”.
- On the “Manage Data” page tap on the “Delete Account option.
- From the “Delete Account” screen opt for “Delete My Account and Data”
- Login into your email and find the confirmation email sent and click on it hence the deletion process.
How to Delete The Account From Fitbit Website
- Navigate over to Fitbit’s official website.
- Once landed at the site, head over to your kids’ dashboard. From the top right corner choose the gear icon and click settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on the “Delete Account” option.
- To confirm the deletion request you will be asked to enter your account’s password.
- Once you are done, open your email and find the deletion confirmation email from Fitbit. Click on the link and the deletion process initiates.
What Happens When You Delete Your Childs Fitbit Account
Once you confirm the account deletion via email the process takes 30 days. All of the subscriptions made will also be deleted. Important data is preserved by Fitbit for safety and legal reasons.
In case you change your mind about deleting your son’s or daughter’s Fitbit account, Fitbit offers you a seven-day grace period. To cancel deletion log in within the 7 days grace period.
Creating a Secure Password A Childs Fitbit Account
Creating a password that is strong to guard your kid’s Fitbit account is important. If the password gets into the wrong hand then all the Fitbit accounts connected will be compromised. The best thing would be to update the password once in a while.
How to Rest or Change your Kid’s Fitbit Account Password
First sign out of the Fitbit app
- Tap Login and then tap the ”Forgot your Password” option.
- Input your email address and tap “Send Reset Email”. An email will be inboxed to your email within no time. In case you don’t receive the email then you probably have entered the wrong email one that doesn’t exist. Alternatively, head over to the junk or spam folder to find the email.
- Tap the link. The link redirects you to Fitbit’s mobile website
- Finally, head back to the Fitbit App and continue the new password.
Characteristics of a Strong Password
- When formulating a password make sure that it is at least 8 characters long because the longer the password gets the harder it for hackers to crack.
- Use both upper and lower case letters plus special characters and numbers too. Most importantly choose a password that will be easy to remember.
How to Erase Fitbit Data without Deleting Your Child’s Account
You don’t necessarily need to delete your Fitbit son’s or daughter’s F if you are selling or giving away the Fitbit.
What you can do is clear data by performing a factory reset or removing the fitness tracker from the list of accounts.
With these two options, you can clear data associated with Fitbit without deleting your child’s Fitbit account.
You save yourself the hustle of creating a new Fitbit account. Ace 2 comes with a factory reset feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Fitbit have a kids Version?
The smartwatch has kids versions that include the Fitbit Ace and the latest Fitbit Ace 2.
The mentioned fitness trackers are user-friendly and hence won’t frustrate your kid.
How does my child log into Fitbit?
Have the Fitbit app installed, and sign into your account. Tap on “Profile”. Head over to the family and find the name of your son or daughter.
While still on the account’s information page Opt for “Switch to Kid View”. Input the password and that’s it.
Can my 10 year old have a Fitbit Account?
Children below the age of 13 years are not permitted to use Fitbit services hence can’t have Fitbit accounts. Whoever with a parent’s consent a 10 year old boy or girl can own a Fitbit and hence have a Fitbit account.