Can you shower with Apple Watch? The brief answer is YES. Although all Apple Watches are not waterproof they are water-resistant up to certain levels. Which means they can be worn in the shower.
Like the first generation, Apple Watch and Apple Watch Series 1 are only splash-proof submerging them into the water would not be a good idea because it could end up killing them.
On the other hand, we have Apple Watches that can be worn while in the shower. They include the Apple Watch Series 2, Apple Watch Series 3, Apple Watch Series 4, Apple Watch Series 5, Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, and Apple Watch Series 7.
In as much as Apple Watch 2,3,4,5,6,7, and SE can be taken to the shower, don’t expose either of them to shampoos, perfumes, soaps, or lotions.
The reason is they can easily sip into the watch through the back case and cause damage which sometimes is not repairable.
Difference Between Waterproof and Water Resistant
A water-resistant device is a device that can survive for a short while submerged in water.
When submerging a water-resistance device into the water you don’t let it stay in the water for long because it might end up getting water damaged.
On the other hand, a waterproof device is a device that can be submerged in water and let to stay for long (hours) without getting water damaged.
Unfortunately, we don’t have an Apple water that is waterproof rather all of them are water-resistant.
The other bad news is that the water-resistance capability in Apple Watches diminishes over time and cannot be resealed for water resistance.
What is the Water Resistance of an Apple Watch?
Here is a simple table that explains water resistance in Apple Watches you can have for in the shower – from the First generation Apple Watch to the Newer Apple Models:
|Apple Watch 1||Apple Series 2 to 6||Apple Watch 7||Apple Watch SE|
|Splash-proof||Waterproof up to 50 meters||Waterproof up to 50 meters||Waterproof up to 50 meters|
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
Factors Affecting Water-resistance in Apple Watches
- While taking a bath or shower make sure that you don’t expose your Apple Watch to soapy water. Soapy water can easily find its into your watch motherboard through the back case and cause damage to the Apple watch.
- When you expose your Apple Watch to acidic substances, detergents, oils, lotions, and sunscreen you compromise its water-resistance
- When you are out skiing at the beach you compromise your Apple Watch’s water resistance because when you Skiing you leave the watch vulnerable to high-velocity water.
- Frequently subjecting Apple Watch drops on hard surfaces will also affect water resistance. Close the bands properly so that the Watch doesn’t slip from the wrist.
- As much as you can shower with Apple Watch Series 2,3,4,5,6,7, and SE, don’t take them to steam rooms or sauna. The day you make such a mistake will be the last day the Apple Watch operates and that will leave you at a serious loss because as we know Apple Watches are expensive.
Note: You can only wear an Apple Watch with a silicone or nylon strap in the shower and that’s because the bands are water-resistant. Apple Watches with leather bands and stainless steel bands should be taken off before entering the shower.
Do I need to Water Lock My Apple Watch before Showering (Getting it Wet)?
The brief answer is YES. Before daring the shower and getting your Apple Watch wet it is important to turn on the Water Lock feature.
You won’t find the Water Lock feature in the Apple Watch Series 0 (first generation Apple Watch) and Apple Watch Series 1.
But you will find the feature in Newer models: Apple Watch Series 2, Series 3, Series 4, Series 5, Series 6, Series 7, and Apple Watch SE. Make sure that you engage the Water Lock feature on your Apple Watch before getting it wet while in the shower.
Does Water Lock Turn on Automatically on Apple Watch?
What happens if I forgot to turn on Water Lock on Apple Watch? The Water Lock on Apple Watch automatically activates itself when it detects you are in contact with water.
Another way the feature turns itself on is when you tell the watch you are about to enter the pool for a swim.
How Does the Water Lock Feature Work on Apple Watch?
When the feature is active the watch does not respond to taps because it assumes all of them are accidental taps due to the water effect.
How to Activate the Water Lock feature on Apple Watch
- Swipe the Apple Watch’s screen from the bottom to reveal the control center.
- Tap the Water Drop icon.
That’s it your Apple Watch is water locked. You not only need to do this before getting in the shower but also when hanging around the pool or while running or cycling in the severe rain.
How to Turn off Water Lock on Apple Watch
Done with your shower session? Follow the simple single step below to turn off the water lock feature on your Apple Watch:
Twist the digital crown on your Apple Watch until you feel the water vibrate. The buzzing sound is an indication that the water lock feature is off and any water stuck around the speaker is being ejected.
Use this method to turn off the water lock on Apple Watch 5, Apple Watch 6, and Apple Watch 7.